Delicious: Chipotle Burger & Avocado Sauce
We all gotta eat.
Seems straightforward: hungry? Eat.
Except… then there’s nutrition to calculate, and fitness goals to take into account, and then time (which is never enough) and planning and… things can get complicated.
Never fear, here’s a simple, flavorful and (dare we say) nutritious take on your classic burger — by tipping in a heap of spices and a generous shmear of avocado sauce, this burger will check all your boxes!
Quick and delicious, packed with protein, these make an awesome after-workout meal.
These healthy chipotle burgers with a creamy avocado sauce are the perfect meal for grilling right after an evening workout. The cost of this meal is around $3.53 per serving. Budget friendly AND delicious? Sign us UP!
Like a little kick? These burgers feature chipotles to offset the grilled juiciness with a smoky, subtly spicy flavor that is cooled down with the creamy avocado sauce. The combination makes for a playful balance of hot and cool. We’ve added some seasonal greens for a delightful crunch!
Depending on your personal preference and nutrition goals, there are a variety of substitutions available.
Burgers can be healthy
There are several substitutions you can make to align more specifically to your preferred palate and nutrition goals. Try swapping ground beef for turkey. You can also have your burger without a bun or try lettuce for a lower carb option! This meal ranges from approximately 317 calories to 564 calories, depending on your substitutions. If you use ground turkey with no bun the burger is 317 calories. Using ground beef with no bun is about 414 calories. Using turkey instead of beef will save you about 100 calories for those who are trying to achieve a caloric deficit this would be a better option for you! The bun will add approximately 150 additional calories to this meal.
This meal includes an avocado sauce, which is a good source of fat. Incorporating avocados into your diet is beneficial to your health. Although avocados are high in calories, they have many benefits. Avocados are rich in potassium, fiber, and vitamins B, E and C. Studies have shown that avocados can also improve heart health!
Selecting avocados: We’ve all heard avocados can be temperamental, and to ensure peak flavor and creaminess, it’s best to use avocados that are ripe. Here are some tips to tell if your avocado is ready or not:
- Typically a darker skin indicates more ripeness
- A ripe avocado should be soft to the touch and yield when gently pressed
- Store at room temperature until ripe
- Once ripe, you can store it in the fridge for a day or two to prevent over-ripening
- Check out some other tips about avocado selection and storage here.
Here are a few tips when making this meal.
First, make sure to chop the onions in the burgers really small, otherwise the patties will fall apart. (If mincing onions isn’t your strong suit, try a food processor, like this one).
Second, make sure to let the burgers rest on the grill for at least 5-7 minutes if you want them to stay juicy. Cutting into them earlier will release all the juices and result in a dry burger.
Chipotle Burgers With a Creamy Avocado Sauce
Total Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 people
Calories: 317 – 564 (see above for difference)
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 2 chipotles in adobo, minced (remove seeds for less spice)
- 1 TBSP adobo sauce
- 2-3 TBSP finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 4 cheese slices
- 4 hamburger buns
- 1 ripe avocado
- ¼ cup plain nonfat greek yogurt
- 2 small garlic cloves or 1 large garlic clove
- ¼ jalapeno
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Splash of water
- Preheat the grill to about 500 degrees
- In a bowl combine ground beef, chipotles, onion, garlic, adobo sauce, salt and pepper.
- Combine well and form into 4 patties (¼ lb each)
- Once grill is preheated place them on grill, and grill to the temperature of your liking. When the burger has about 2 minutes left, turn off the grill and put cheese slices on.
- For the avocado sauce, add the following ingredients to a blender: avocado, greek yogurt, jalapeno, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and water. Combine well.
- Top each burger with the sauce and serve!
Healthy does not have to equal boring.
There are a ton of healthy recipes and suggestions for adding flavor to your meals — if you have questions about what and when to eat, our Personal Trainers may be able to help! (Drop us a line and we can assist or feel free to reach out via the VENT Fitness mobile app!)
With a little bit of time and some prep, you can have a delightfully satisfying healthy meal anytime!
See you in the clubs!
PSST… have you heard? We’re on TikTok! Follow us here for fitness tips, fun times, and healthy recipes!